Friday 28 October 2011

Around Vintage Cornwall


*****************************

*****************************



Hello from sunny Cornwall. Yes the sun is shinning today after some very heavy rain at the begining of the week. Despite a flood warning we were lucky, I'm glad to say, because my kitchen has been flooded at least four times in the past. I live on a slight incline near the end of a steep road so when it rains heavy it can look like a river sometimes....

~~~~~~~

Talking about the road where I live prompted me to show you how it looked in about 1910. Fortunately for the ones seen in the photograph it wasn't raining.....




Penpol Road, Hayle, abt. 1910

Penpol Road, Hayle, as it is today


As you can see little has changed other than cars have replaced the cattle that once walked down this road. The tree is still there but has grown and thankfully is sturdy because it is opposite from my house. It seems to defy the strong winds that blow and stands proud....
~~~~~~~

I would like to show you other areas of Hayle as it was in a bygone age, which was then a busy industrial harbour town which was established during the 18th century....



Foundry Square, Hayle



If you look towards the upper right-side of the postcard and behind the row of terraced houses you can see some roofs next to the greenery. The second roof from the left is my house, which was built pre-1830...


Hayle from Lelant Ferry


Hayle From the Towans


Millpond, Hayle


Hayle Towans, Pool and Beach


Little has changed in some of the areas seen here, thankfully.

~~~~~~~

I would now like to take you on a tour around vintage Cornwall. If the sun holds you won't need an umbrella....Enjoy..


Awaiting the Fish, St. Ives


Sale of Herrings, St. Ives


Fishermen's Quarters, St. Ives


Collecting Seaweed, Cornwall


The Oldarch, St. Ives


Tintagel-Boscastle


The Island and Headland, Newquay


Beautiful spot but would you walk over that bridge....no me neither. The last time I visited Newquay there was a cafe there. Now, I like a Cornish tea like anyone else but not that much to cross that bridge..lol..



Kynance Cove, The Lizard


Market Square, Camborne


Cadgwith


Bodinnick Ferry, Fowey


Coast View from Trevalga


Lamorna Cove, near Penzance


General View of Mousehole


West End, Marazion


Marazion Harbour


St. Michael's Mount


Quay Street, Penzance


The Quay, Penzance


Polperro from the Lookout


Polperro Harbour


Jew's House, Polperro


Old Smuggler's Cottage, Polperro


Cliffs at Lands End


First and Last Sign Post, Lands End

First and Last House, Lands End...

I have this image as a banner on my blog 'The Primitive Cornish Hovel'


I hope you enjoyed your visit to Cornwall. Until next time, take care...Hugs Chrissy xx


0 comments: